Monday, May 16, 2011

Magick

So far, this blog totally makes me want to snooze so after some thought, I've decided I'm going to start talking about the things that really interest me outside of writing. Chiefly: magick.

I don't want to deal with religion because it's really not my interest to tick people off. I can do that without controversial topics. I personally believe that religion shouldn't matter. People of all religions can improve their lives and the lives of people around them using magick. They do anyway; they just don't call it magick.

If you pray, then you use magick. It's through an intermediary, but it's still magick. A loooong time ago, I was taught that magick is defined as:
1. To Know.
2. To Will.
3. To Dare.
4. To Keep Silent.

My teacher went on to say that magick is a matter of "intent." This was her way of saying "will." And I think intent is a little easier to understand. Of course, that whole "To keep silent" thing rarely happens anymore. People always want to tell you their business, whether you want to hear about it or not, don't they? But silence makes for stronger magick. Do a working. Don't talk about it, if you can avoid it. Why? Blabbing on and on about it tends to dilute the work itself. It's kind of like when someone tells you the same story over and over and inwardly, you think, this guy won't shut up about this, will he? He's told me this story at least ten times. You get sick of hearing the story, but the guy goes on telling it because he likes it so much. It depletes the initial telling. Talking about magick itself doesn't work anyway. You just have to show up and do the work to understand.

I personally feel those four (above) make for a pretty flimsy definition of magick. I think magick is: an act (or acts) of will, which uses means not currently understood by traditional Western science, that brings about a change in consciousness and/or circumstances. To use prayer as an example of magick, here's why: you are using an act of will (words of intent such as praying for the health of a friend) that, at the very least, offers you or your friend some comfort (a change in consciousness). Whether the magick is effective or not, that's another issue. But it is magick.

No comments:

Post a Comment