Sunday, March 6, 2011

Villains

The semi-colons post might end up being in parts because it's complex to put together well. (I say this being halfway done.) Semi-colons are a tricky business.

A large part of the reason why I haven't been around here much is because I'm very actively writing my novel, and I had a thought to share.

I find myself liking my villain more and more. He's got good reasons for doing what he does, and other things have me sympathizing. I just wonder if other writers or readers have had this experience: liking the villain. I've had it as a reader, but never as a writer. Anyone care to add likeable villains?

From Jeff Lindsay's Dexter series: I have to admit I kinda like Dexter's brother Biney (in the books, not the show).

2 comments:

  1. Hmm, I personally love all my villains, aside from one. If someone can give a likable villain, I think it's an asset to a book. Let me see...King Haggard from The Last Unicorn was a sympathetic villain. Oonagh from The Sevenwaters Trilogy was a villain I loved to hate (those are especially likable!)

    I think I prefer anti heroes most, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree, Ms. T. I've been wanting to read Sevenwaters; it's on my long to-read list. It's not that I don't love all my villains; I just think that I've become especially attached to this one. I like really well-written anti-heroes.

    Don't think I ever said this: thank you for reviewing This Dark Magic on your blog. Every little bit helps :)

    ReplyDelete